DIXON'S REVENGE TRAIL RACE:
By 1854 the Prohibition movement was in full swing in Maine. As South Berwick was considering a ban on alcohol, numerous legal and religious establishments were torched in protest. After passing a ban on alcohol, Mainers had to cross the bridge to Rollinsford to drink and revel. A grog shop in Rollinsford owned by Samuel Dixon “reigned as the factory district’s chief watering hole”. Dixon, however, had become “somewhat notorious for crime in this vicinity, near Salmon Falls.” In 1851, Dixon was framed by a disgruntled South Berwick saloon owner for the string of arsons. In 1854, a pair of young factory workers drank heavily one summer afternoon at Dixon’s and wandered into the woods – 2 men went in, only 1 came out. Thanks to Samuel Dixon, Rollinsford earned “a relatively short-lived but racy reputation for free-flowing liquor."
On Saturday May 4th, Samuel Dixon gets his revenge – SIX03 Endurance is bringing the party to Rollinsford once again! Come join us on the banks of the Salmon Falls River for a trail running festival.
The 5 Miler is an Loop course which has some fast rail trail, open fields, and some single track.
You will be following the rail trail in the beginning and go straight by the water stop. THIS ROAD IS OPEN AND YOU WILL NEED TO CHECK FOR CARS. you will go down a dirt road and around a baseball field and into the wood for some great single track action on the banks of the Salmon Falls river.
Canicross 5k & 5K
The Canicross 5k and 5k is a loop and will feature some fast rail trail and some great single track along the Salmon Falls River. You run straight along the rail trail until you hit the aid station at 1.4 miles and then hit some single track. Follow the flags and signs back to the finish
Event's current local time: 12:53 PM ET
Here are the Canicross Rules:
1. One dog per runner.
2. Dogs must be attached to their runner at all times via a secure waist belt leash. Check out the Kurgo Quantum Leash as an example (www.kurgo.com).
3. Leashes should be no longer than 5ft long – no retractable leashes allowed.
4. Dogs must be wearing a comfortably fitting harness where the attachment point is NOT the collar/neck.
5. No dragging, pulling of your dog - though they can pull you! Let your dog determine the pace.
6. Dog waste must be picked up in a disposable bag and placed in a trashcan at the water stop or start/finish area or in designated areas along the course. Failure to clean up after your dog will result in disqualification.
7. Please move to the side if another dog and runner wish to pass. Hold your dog close to you to minimize the risk of tripping other participants.
8. Have proof of rabies vaccination with you at the race.
9. Make sure your dog is adequately trained for a 5k race. Keep your dog well hydrated before and after the event.
10. Please do not leave dogs unattended and make every effort to keep your dog, other participants, and spectators safe at this event! Your dog is your responsibility.
11. Know your dog! Some dogs do well in high-energy settings with many other people and dogs, others do not. Make the right choice for your dog so they can be set up for success! Sometimes the right choice is leaving your dog at home.